Have you ever wondered if you could do something to prevent cavities? Dental sealants may be the answer. Dental sealants are preventive dentistry that can help protect your teeth from cavities and decay. Dental Designs of Maryland – Hanover, MD offers general dental services in Maryland that can help you get the smile you always dreamed of today. Call us today at 443.733.6879 to schedule an appointment.
How Do Dental Sealants Work?
Sealants consist of various materials, including glass ionomer and composite resins. The material is applied to the tooth in a liquid form and then allowed to harden.
Dental sealants work by filling in the grooves and pits on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (premolars and molars). These grooves and pits are very deep and challenging to clean with a toothbrush. Cavities can develop when food and bacteria get caught in these grooves and pits.
The sealant bonds to the grooves in the teeth, creating a barrier to protect the teeth from bacteria and acids. Sealants can last for many years, but checking them at your regular dental appointments is essential to ensure they are still intact and effective.
Are Dental Sealants Safe and Effective?
Yes, dental sealants are safe. The sealant materials are FDA-approved and are not harmful if swallowed. These sealants can significantly reduce the risk of cavities. However, you want to ensure that a licensed dentist or medical professional applies the dental sealants.
Dental Sealants for Adults
You may not think of dental sealants for adults, but they can benefit all ages. If you have deep grooves in your back teeth, you may be a good candidate for sealants.
Experts recommend using dental sealants for adults on their molars and premolars. Regardless of a patient’s age, whether they have had cavities in the past, or if they have certain risk factors for cavities, such as dry mouth, a history of cavities, deep grooves and pits in their teeth, or poor oral hygiene.
There are a few things to keep in mind when considering dental sealants:
- They are not a replacement for good oral hygiene. It is still important to brush and floss regularly, even if you have sealants.
- Sealants only protect the chewing surfaces of the teeth. They do not protect the surfaces in between the teeth. That is why it is still important to floss regularly.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
Dental sealants are helpful for both children’s and adults’ good oral health and for those who may be at a higher risk for cavities. Some benefits of dental sealants include:
- Prevent cavities – The primary benefit of dental sealants is that they help prevent cavities. Sealants act as a barrier, protecting the teeth from the bacteria and acids that cause cavities.
- Easy to apply – Dental sealants are quick and easy to apply. The process is simple, painless, and only takes a few minutes.
- Cost-effective – Sealants are a cost-effective way to prevent cavities. They are much less expensive than fillings or crowns and can save you money in the long run.
- Long-lasting – Dental sealants can last for many years with proper care.
As you can see, dental sealants are an excellent choice for many patients.
Dental Designs of Maryland – Hanover, MD: Reap the Benefits of Dental Sealants in Hanover, MD
Dental sealants may be the answer if you’re looking for a way to prevent cavities. Sealants are a quick, easy, and cost-effective way to protect your teeth.
At Dental Designs of Maryland – Hanover, MD, we offer high-quality dental sealants in Hanover, MD for our patients. We invite you to contact our office today to schedule a consultation. Our team will work with you to help you achieve and maintain a healthy, beautiful smile.
Contact our office today at 443.733.6879 to schedule an appointment.